Sunday, May 18, 2014

Inside Beach


I didn’t realize how much I missed the ocean until I smelt the salty air. After living in Florida for a decade it is strange to be away from the water. And it wasn’t until we’d boarded the ferry to take us across to ‘Inside Beach’ that I realized just how much I needed a break from the day to day challenge of learning to live in a new culture.

The last time we were invited to the beach we couldn’t go because I became very ill the night before. This time, I had worried the trip would again be cancelled as it had rained all night and was predicted to rain all day. Still, our friends came anyway and we all drove off to the beach hoping for the best.

Only about 16 miles away, it took almost an hour and a half to get there winding our way around small poorly maintained mountain roads. Still, the trip with small towns followed by dense jungle on either side, was a beautiful one.

The rain stopped, but a light cloud cover remained. The day turned out perfect. Warm sun, cool shade from the clouds, and crystal clear water. We had the beach entirely to ourselves save a few local people out fishing or hunting for mussels.

Inside Beach is the kind of beach I’d only ever seen in pictures or in movies. A white sandy shore lined with palm trees then quickly turning into dense jungle as it climbed up the mountainsides. The beach is along the inside of a bay where in the future there will be a cargo port. For now at least, the spot is absolutely perfect. And for the first time in a year, I felt like I could finally breathe.


The boat dropped us off and we spent the day swimming, snorkelling around the coral reef which felt like swimming in an aquarium, playing with sea cucumbers, crabs, and starfish, eating chicken with jack fruit and rice, walking, collecting shells, and laying in the shade. Isaiah of course loved every minute and is already asking to go back. I can't wait to either.

Swinging and singing






No comments:

Post a Comment